Tuesday, December 07, 2004

On Religiosity

I love to make up new words.

I think that there is a fundamental change happening in our culture. And some folks are petrified of it. I am talking about the change from Religion to Spirituality.

First, let's discuss what each means

re·li·gion
n.

a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.


“A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.” is the most telling of the definitions here. “based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.” is also important.

Being religious is being a follower. Now, there is nothing wrong with being a follower.

Each Church teaches their own opinion of what Christianity is, and there are some divergent views on that! In fact, each sect of each religion teaches it's own view on their 'parent' religion. People used to go to the church that their parents went to, and that was that. But times are a changing.

spir·i·tu·al·i·ty
n. pl. spir·i·tu·al·i·ties

1. The state, quality, manner, or fact of being spiritual.
2. The clergy.
3. Something, such as property or revenue, that belongs to the church or to a cleric. Often used in the plural.


the thing to take away from this is #1 - “The state, quality, manner, or fact of being spiritual”.

Spirituality is a personal experience. It is you, in a state, quality or manner of being in touch with spirit. Each person decides what is their path, and what is correct for them.

I sense a groundswell away from the larger organized religions in this nation, towards a more personal connection with the divine. America is made up of rugged individuals, after all. So why should we be told what to believe? If God is all-pervasive, then S/He should be able to contact each of us, one on one and talk with us.

Why should I have to go to a building to worship? Why can I not use the trees as the walls of my temple, and the sky as it's roof? Where are we closer to God, in a man made construct, or in the middle of his great creation?

I feel closest to the Divine when I am out in the wilderness, and meditiating. When I can feel the breath of God in the wind, and can hear God talking in the rustling of the leaves.

When you meet the Buddha, kill him!

When God speaks to me, it is not through a priest or preacher or book, it is when I listen. When I quiet my mind and just listen.

I have had to overcome my willingness to be a follower in my search for a spiritual life. I had to start to think on my own. Every person is falliable. So when I am listening to a sermon, I remember that this is the experince of that human talking. I listen, and try and relate it to what I have found works for me, in my life.

That is all – life is a personal experience. Live it yourself – do not let some other person tell you how to feel or believe. Do not let some other person make you believe that you are not a good person because you do things that they do not agree with.

If you honestly try to make each choice, each day, from a foundation of Love, then you are a very good person. If you do not, and let hate rule you, it is never to late to try to change.

-Tsyko

No comments: